Vitamin B2 also has a great part in curing beriberi disease. After the invention of B2 vitamin research scientists had a sigh of relief as they have finally found a solution for beriberi. To their dismay, the aftermath of beriberi could not be eradicated completely. Only then the scientists found out there are two deficiencies which result in the disease. So the second vitamin which is low in beriberi affected patients is B2 vitamin. The chemical name of the B2 vitamin is riboflavin. Another name for this vitamin is flavus as the meaning of this name in Latin is yellow. We can find this vitamin in most of the yellow colored fruits.
Vitamin B2 has a pet name in America called Vitamin G; most of the books have both these names in them. This vitamin can be absorbed directly into the body which is an additional benefit of this vitamin. Still, this vitamin should be consumed through food daily as it is an exhausted vitamin in our body. Most importantly, sportspersons have to consume this vitamin once in a while as it will exhaust quickly in them. People who avoid milk may suffer from this vitamin deficiency.
Benefits of this vitamin
Vitamin B1 and B2 can be called as twin sisters. Both these vitamins mostly have the same properties, same functions, and do the same job to our body.
Functions of Vitamin B2
- Helps in producing the energy required for the body from foods intaken. Breaks the protein, fat, and carbohydrates and transform that into energy.
- Helps in producing enzymes which control the heartbeat, nervous system, brain, and muscles.
- Aids in the growth of our body and helps in reproduction too.
- Controls the secretion of adrenal hormones.
- Produces red blood cells and helps in producing antibodies.
- Speeds the healing of wounds, specifically the wounds in gums, lips, and tongue. That is why doctors prescribe this vitamin for recovery.
- Heals dried and cracked skin.
- Helps in the growth of Children.
- Sharpens our eyesight, Cures cataract and arthritis.
- Monitors the growth of nails, hair, and skin.
- Aids in the absorption of iron to the body and accepting vitamin B6 by the body.
- To avoid dandruff and to cure a migraine.
Vitamin B2 rich foods
Milk and milk-based products have lots of this vitamin in it. So it is necessary to have milk based food daily.
- Milk, Milk products, cheese
- Cereals and Dhal varieties
- Green peas
- Most of the green colored vegetables
- Wheat bread
- Soya milk
- Almonds, Cashew nuts
- Available in tablet forms
- Liver parts of animals
Consumption of this vitamin
- Men – 1.3 to 1.6 milligram (Daily)
- Women – 1.1 to 1.2 milligram
- Pregnant women – 1.4 milligram
- Lactating Mothers – 1.6 milligram
The above-mentioned amount of this vitamin is sufficient for all people. People can also consume this vitamin tablet after consulting their doctors.
Diseases because of this vitamin deficiency
There are many diseases like beriberi caused by this vitamin deficiency. Most of the people in this world are suffering from this vitamin deficiency. So it is necessary to know the problems by its vitamin deficiency.
- Continuous fever
- Cracked skin, hair, and nails
- Reddish eyes, eye irritation, and itching
- Itching in nose, mouth, throat, lips, and skin
- Swelling and crack in lips
- Depression and fatigue
- Wounds in the corner of the lips, Swelling skin
- Throat itching and irritation
- Skin diseases
- Growth problems
- The sensation of burning in legs
- Carelessness and forgetting things
- Losing the number of blood cells
Problems of over-consumption
As it is easily available and cures most of our problems, it is a rare occurrence of overconsumption problems. Those are
- Eyesight problems
- Irritation and itching of the skin
- Feeling dizzy
- Problems in the nervous system
What destroys this vitamin?
The biggest enemy of this vitamin is brightness. Sunlight, light from candles, ultraviolet rays and any type of light has the potential to destroy B2. That is milk and milk-based products are packed and stored in a cool place. So it is advisable to keep the foods with this vitamin closed it before consumption. Like most of the vitamins, this vitamin also does not go well with alcohol. So people who drink has this vitamin deficiency in common.