“Vitamin B5 de-stress our mind,” says most of the physicians and researchers. This vitamin acts the same when it is consumed by us; it removes tiredness and provides energy to the body. It also keeps us active because this vitamin improves the function of the adrenal gland. The adrenal gland is the one which secretes the hormones which balance our stress level and depression. This vitamin helps in the production of hemoglobin which does the job of taking oxygen to the most of the body. From this vitamin B5, becomes an essential vitamin for our body.
This vitamin is called as calcium Pantothenate or Pantothenic acid. It is a water-soluble vitamin so the excess amount of this vitamin will be flushed out of our body through urine. So it is required to intake this vitamin daily.
Benefits of this vitamin
The basic work of this vitamin is helping with the body growth. It also helps in converting our food into energy like the rest of the B vitamins.
Work was done by B5
- Helps in the growth of our body.
- Converting food into energy, aids in the digestion of fat, carbohydrates, and protein for converting them into energy.
- Cell growth and cell regeneration
- Stabilizes the work of adrenal gland.
- Aids in the formation of antibodies so that the wounds and diseases can be healed easily. B5 is required to for healing most of the wounds.
- Fights the side effects made by chemical-filled medicines.
- Helps in handling stress and depression and provides strength. So sportspersons and athletic people should eat foods filled with this vitamin.
- Provides strength to handle sudden shocks for both mind and body.
- Strengthens skin, muscles, and nervous system.
- Fights skin allergy and other allergies too.
- Helps in the production of hemoglobin and red blood cells.
- Avoids wrinkles in our skin and grey hair in our scalp.
- Prevents knee pain and joint pains
- Reduces high blood pressure and the level of triglyceride in our blood.
Foods with vitamin B5
This vitamin is available in most of the foods in various quantities. B5 filled foods are given below
- Cereals, dhal types
- Milk-based products
- Green peas
- Sunflower seeds
- Raw vegetables
- Sweet potato
- Available in tablet forms
Non Veg foods
- Kidney, liver, and heart parts of animals
Consumption of this vitamin
- Men – 5 milligram (Daily)
- Women – 5 milligram
- Pregnant women – 5 milligram
- Lactating Mothers – 5 milligram
As this vitamin is so essential to the body, it can be consumed in small quantities daily. People can consult their physician to know the exact amount of their intake. Though children below the age of 12, should avoid consuming this vitamin in tablet forms.
Diseases caused by this vitamin deficiency
- Skin problems
- Disturbed sleep
- Not feeling hunger
- Nausea, fainting
- A continuous headache, stomach ache
- Non-healing of wounds
- Nerve disorders
- Muscle strain, weakness, numbness
- Level of potassium and fat in our blood gets dropped
- Growth gets affected in kids
- Digestion problems
What destroys this vitamin?
Preservatives may keep the food unspoiled but destroy this vitamin. Vinegar and baking soda may also kill this vitamin. So it is advisable to eat freshly cooked foods than the packed items. Like the same way, overcooking a food item may also kill this vitamin. That is why physicians recommend us to eat freshly cooked foods and raw vegetables. Like other B vitamins, this vitamin also hates alcohol. So people who drink and smokes may have this vitamin deficiency. So those people have to consume more of this vitamin than others.