Vitamin D is an easily available vitamin. Products which we get easily in our society are less valuable. The same happens in vitamins too. We spend lots of money to get vitamins in tablet forms. But in reality, we get a lot of vitamins in cheap and easily available products. As such this vitamin D is available at free of cost. It is nothing but our daily sunlight. This vitamin is the core product of sunlight, which is why it is also called as ‘sunlight vitamin’. Strolling in sunlight for ample amount of time regularly will give the required D vitamin for the body. But we must know the right time to get this vitamin from the sunlight.
Of course, we get vitamin D from sunlight, but we cannot roam under the sky the entire day to get D vitamin. Because it may result in skin diseases. Most importantly the ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sunlight may damage our skin and give skin diseases. It may result from discoloration, allergies to skin cancer. So we need sunlight but that should not affect our skin. So we have to follow a technique in which we get the required sunlight without affecting our skin. Most of the doctors also prescribe the same.
To know about the requirement of our skin we have to calculate the amount of vitamin D. So that we can plan our sunbath. Basically, the fat cells in our skin react with the UV rays from the skin. UV rays from the sunlight which produces D vitamin. The production time of D vitamin for the skin is based on the following:
- The tone of our skin (dark or fair)
- Our age
- The intensity of the sun in our living area per day
- The timing in which we roam in sunlight
- The number of hours in which the sunlight directly heats us
- The vitamin D which we get from food
After consulting all the above points we can say the requirement to a particular person. It also describes whether we our stroll in sunlight is content or not. For example, fair people can roam half an hour to one hour in direct sunlight to produce their required vitamin D per day. But at the same time, dark skin toned people should roam in sunlight at least for three hours to get the same. Likewise, we can be a stroll for a shorter time during summer days. In winter we have to stroll in sunlight for two three times higher than the summer. The level of sunlight will be too low in highly region. So the people living in those areas should be in sunlight for a longer time to get their required D vitamin.
The actual problem is not getting Vitamin D from the sun. But how to get the sunlight without getting skin problems. So doctors give us a technique that to get sunlight. That is ‘little sunlight with little caution’. People who roam in sunlight more than th others should take som precautions like wearing caps, wearing cooling glasses, covering the whole body, and applying sunscreen lotions. It is best not to roam under the sun when it is so intense. So it is best not to stroll in the sun between 10AM-4PM.
Apart from sunlight, we get vitamin D in cows milk too. But this vitamin is not available in mothers milk. So it is necessary to make the babies to sit in the sunlight for sometime if the babies are only fed with the mothers milk.
Benefits of this vitamin
Not only this vitamin but every vitamin should b consumed in the right amount. If it exceeds that amount it may affect the body. As D vitamin can be produces by the body itself we have to be more cautious than the other vitamin in consuming. So researches advises us that over consumption of D vitamin can cause many problems. American cancer society is still researching on th benefits of D vitamin. So the exact details of the benefits of this vitamin is still unknown. But some of the basic benefits of the vitamin is given below:
- Helps in the usage of phosphorus and calcium for the body
- Strenghthens bones and teeth
- Prevents rickets
- Prevents fracture of bones
- Fights the common cold if it is consumed along with vitamin A
- Helps in cell regeneration
- Stands in the growth of heart and nervous system
- Aides in the functioning of nervous system and heart
- Stimulates the immunity system
- Helps in the problems faced by the oldage people
- Controls the functioning of the thyroid gland
- Stimulates the secretion on insulin in our body and controls the level of sugar
Vitamin D filled products
Sunlight gives us an abundant amount of vitamin D to our body. Apart from this, we get vitamin D through milk and rarely tablets.
- Milk products
- Cornflakes, oats
- Available in tablet forms
Non veg foods
- Fish oil
- Liver parts of the animals
Consumption of this vitamin
- Men – 5 to 10 microgram (Daily)
- Women – 5 to 10 microgram
- Pregnant women – 5 to 10 microgram
- Lactating Mothers – 5 to 10 microgram
As we get lots of vitamin D from the sunlight, it is so rare to get this vitamin deficiency. Still, some people tend to get D vitamin deficiency. They are
- People who have crossed 50 years of age. They have to consume two fold amount vitamin D than others. It should increase another fold when they reach 70 years of age
- Babies who have only fed with mothers milk
- Dark skin toned persons
- Who do not expose them to sunlight
- People who are living in cold regions
Babies do not have an exposue to sunlight till they cross their 2 months.so they have to consume requied medicines to get D vitamin. AAP(American academy of pediatrics) suggests that every toddler should consume atleast 5 micro gram of vitamin D daily. If not they are easily approachable by rickets. Women who are in their menopause period should increase their vitamin D than the other days. Dark skin people should plan their regular roteine of getting this vitamin as they take a long time to perceive it from the sunlight. That is why people in Africa tend to have more weak in this vitamin. Around 10 lakh people in the world are suffering from this vitamin deficiency.
Rickets is the disease which is caused by this deficiency. This disease will weaken the bones and make it tender and bend them. So they have the problem of loosing their legs to rickets. Som of the other problems are:
- Rickets (for kids)
- Growth issue (for kids)
- Tooth decay
- Weakening of bones and muscles
- Bone fracture
- Knee pain
- Hearing problems
- Throat and mouth irritations and ulcers
- Eye sight problems
- Slow healing of wounds
- Low calcium
- Stagnation of phosphorus in kidneys
Over consumption of this vitamin
Skin diseases may occur if we are over exposed to sunlight or vitamin D. it may turn into a cancer if it is not taken care at the right time. Some of the other diseases of over consumption are given below:
- Loosing weight
- Improper rhythm of the heart beat.